Saturday, October 23, 2010

Physics and Food

Most people are very fond of food and everyone needs food to survive.  Lets take a look at how physics and food are related and inseparable...

Take a look at this web log... The Science of Food...let me know what comes to mind

http://psufoodscience.typepad.com/psu_food_science/food_physics/

2 comments:

  1. Vanessa M9:17 PM

    Something that caught my attention when thinking of physics and food is when you mix mentose with soda. There have been many videos of this experiment done and it is very interesting. I found an article that explains a university experiment that tested different products mixed with coke and their interaction. Also made me think about when I was a child and was told that eating pop rocks with soda would make my stomach eplode. Just a thought.

    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14114-science-of-mentosdiet-coke-explosions-explained.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt M3:02 PM

    I've never really thought about the dangers of using a microwave with food. I've heard here and there that microwaves are bad but I never understood why. After looking up a couple articles I found that microwaves (the actual waves)even though they don't produce enough energy to start ionization, they do still produce a large amount of thermal energy. This thermal energy is used to cook your foods. When a certain amount of thermal energy is used to cook your meat, for instance, that smae thermal energy can be dangerous to specific organs in the body...basically cooking your body. That's why microwaves have to be calibrated to only allow a leakage of 5 mW per centimeter sqaured.

    Found this interesting...

    ReplyDelete